Saturday, February 13, 2010

Magnolia Hill Studios

So my mom knows this rockstar family that owns/runs a fine and performing arts studio. They've been doing it for six years and I had no idea, mostly because I didn't live here, but now that I know, I think it's just about the coolest thing ever. And as many of you know, I am currently 90% unemployed (90% because sometimes, I waitress at a dinner and at some banquets, but mostly I don't), and have lots of time to do lots of random stuff. So one day, Sandy, the owner of the studio asked my mom if I'd be interested in helping out in the office at the studio like a volunteer internship type deal. And when I talked to Sandy about what they do, I was totally impressed and am very very happy to be getting involved.

One of the first orders of business I did for Magnolia Hill is a profile which appeared in The Grapevine, a local newspaper/advertising magazine. You can see the profile (a short little thing) in the February 10 issue on page 17, and the ad on page 12.

Anyway, I love Sandy's story about her dancer daughters and their experiences in different dance studios and dance companies. Sandy herself is a painter, and believes art is beautiful and uplifting, inspiring and edifying and wanted to give the South Jersey community a place where art feels that way. Not only that, she wanted to create a space where children can learn to discern good art from bad, both technically and tastefully, by learning how to make art themselves.

I love it. I remember I went to DC once and sat on a bench in the basement of the National Gallery of Art, staring at a Jackson Pollack and wondering at the way paint sticks to canvas.

I am very excited about getting involved over there, about my life intersecting with such cool, inspired art people and about offering a helping hand. Unemployment, it turns out, hasn't been all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment