Saturday, February 27, 2010

Habakkuk

Last night I read Habakkuk and I think it may have been the first time for me to read the whole three chapters in one sitting. I just swallowed the minor prophet whole. It's hard for me to say what book of the Bible is my favorite but after last night's reading, I had to enter Habakkuk on my list of favorites. Here's why:

Habakkuk covers some really important themes:
God's sovereignty
"For behold, I am raising up the Chaldeans [to punish Judah]...But they will be held guilty" (1:6, 11). This is one of the things about God's sovereignty that repels people from believing this doctrine or even Christianity altogether but nevertheless it's Biblical. Compare Romans 9:11-24 and Romans 3:19 and Ecclesiastes 12:14.

Righteousness through faith (2:4)
Paul expanded upon this in Romans and Galatians, Martin Luther was saved through Paul's explanation of this doctrine which was a major cause of the Reformation, and everybody's eternal joy relies upon their understanding of this doctrine.

God's glory (2:14)

Reverence for God (2:20)

God is eternal (3:6)
God is so everlasting that ancient hills collapse and perpetual mountains shatter in God's presence.

Habakkuk, the man, knew that only God could satisfy his deepest desires (3:16-19).

Habakkuk is a man who seems to have no feelings hidden from God. He reminds me of the psalmists David and Asaph and the apostle Peter.

Habakkuk is a book that can be read in one sitting. That makes it easier for me to understand.

3 comments:

  1. Your comments have inspired me to also read the whole thing in one sitting - funny, because I just read Titus today. But there's a big difference, right? Hope things are well w/ you. Busy here - wanted to let you know we're parents now (as of last Friday) and learning the ropes. Drop me a line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete