Friday, June 5, 2009

mewithoutYou

On my first day here in this country, my roommate for the next year and a half and who I had just met the night before, gave me his ear buds (maybe it was just one so that he could listen too) to his discman and what I heard for the next few minutes was interesting.  I can't say that I liked it but it was definitely interesting.  What I heard that day was the song "Silencer" from the album A-->B: Life by mewithoutYou.  

A few months later, my roommate (who turns out to be a huge fan of this unique group) downloaded their new album Catch for Us the Foxes.  Songs like "January 1979", "My Exit, Unfair", "Four Word Letter Pt. 2", and "Torches Together" had me hooked.  In no time I was in love with the whole album and a fan of mewithoutYou.

I loved how the lyrics were beautifully poetic and brutally honest.  I loved how the music was artistically creative.  Maybe there are people that, when they give mewithoutYou a listen, all they hear is hard music and shouting.  But when I listen to them, I hear a group of young men who are making something artistic.

In late 2006, my old roommate, who had been back in America for a year, came back for a visit and when he came he gave me the new album, Brother, Sister.  I immediately loved the song "A Glass Can Only Spill What It Contains".  Over time the rest of the album grew on me and some of my favorites are "Messes of Men", "C-Minor", "O, Porcupine" and "In a Sweater Poorly Knit".  

I write this to say thank you to mewithoutYou for making great music.  


1 comment:

  1. The first album recommendation I made to you was All Hail West Texas by the Mountain Goats. The first album recommendation you made to me was Brother, Sister by mewithoutyou. And when your computer was fried and you went MIA, I listened to that album all the time.

    On an unrelated note, "A Sweater Poorly Knit" is stored in my brain in te next compartment over from "The Sweater Song" by Weezer. Not that the songs have anything to do with each other, but Rivers' sweater was also poorly knit if it could be destroyed by pulling one thread.

    That's all.

    ReplyDelete