Monday, July 7, 2014

On Becoming a Teacher

I did not mean to be a teacher, but that's what happened.  I have never, ever been a good student.  Lots of teachers have described me as sweet, caring, genuine, bright... but studious?  No, parent-teacher conferences often started, "Elena, is a sweet and bright young girl, but she needs to focus more on her studies."

I find it very ironic that I became a teacher at all.  First, because I was such a terrible student, easily distracted, irreverent, a little lazy.  Second, because my dad was a teacher and that should have meant that I should have been a better student.  He taught at the national teacher's university in Honduras, La Pedagógica. My earliest memories of him are his hands and clothes covered in chalk.  Stacks of papers to grade.  The great halls he lectured in.  The way his students approached him with deference and respect.

I had no intention of becoming a teacher, but then, I had little intention in career planning, as my undergrad transcript clearly shows.  I graduated  in Linguistics and Anthropology, because by then, why not?  And then I went to China, then I started teaching English, then I kept teaching English, started teaching work maturity, teaching adult basic education.  I found that I was good at teaching, and eventually I found that I could love it.

Now I've decided to go back to school--despite general trepidation related to my past academic performance--to learn how to be a teacher less haphazardly. What follows is the the personal statement I submitted to Indiana University for the M.S.Ed in Adult Education.  I was accepted in early June.


            I am interested in the online Masters of Science of Education in Adult Education at Indiana University because I believe it can provide me with the formal training I need to become a more skillful practitioner, to operate more effective programs, and ultimately to advocate for improvements in the existing Adult Education systems.
            A cursory examination of the Adult Education system reveals its shortcomings.  According to the National Skills Coalition and the National Commission on Adult Literacy, as many as 88 million Americans lack a high school diploma, or demonstrate low literacy or limited English proficiency, yet only 2.7% of these individuals were served in government-funded adult education programs in 2009.  Even with support from other funding streams, the system lacks adequate capacity, or arguably the adequate quality, to significantly impact our communities.
            Locally, the situation is just as dire. Presently, I work as an Adult Education Manager, where I am responsible for grant-writing, program administration, and instruction.  We offer academic, life-skills, and job related training to individuals from vulnerable populations.  While we consistently meet and exceed the goals prescribed by our funders, we are only a small portion of the system in our area, which collectively serves only about 3% of qualifying adults. We are not keeping pace with the need.
            Despite the challenges, I find my work extremely rewarding. I relate to many of my students’ circumstances.  My family came to United States in 1992, to the same impoverished community where I now work.  My parents made significant sacrifices to ensure my education, leaving prestigious posts behind and taking on low-wage jobs. My own apathy resulted in poor academic performance, jeopardizing my scholarship and my degree.  My first real act of adulthood was to recognize my gaps, prioritize my education, and begin building my future.  With support, I eventually found success.  My students have made similar decisions.  Helping them goes beyond content mastery and calls for persistence, flexibility, optimism, and creative problem solving to navigate needs and manage resources.  I find the work rewarding because I know their success casts wide positive influence through their families, their social networks, and our entire community.

            I am again confronted with my gaps, since most of what I've learned about curriculum development, instruction, and classroom management comes from mentors, textbooks, and first-hand experiences.  The outlined course of study at Indiana University would weave together my experiences with pedagogical theory and application.  It would also allow me to understand the larger historical context surrounding the Adult Education system, explore past and current trends, and consider new strategies for addressing gaps in the system.  The online format would allow me to continue working, and to immediately apply what I am learning, while I pursue the degree.  In total, Indiana University's program will better equip me as a teacher and a program manager to meet the needs of adult learners, and to begin working to bring about change in the existing Adult Education system.

No comments:

Post a Comment