Saturday, July 30, 2011

More Travel Poems

The hottest summer, they said,
in 30 years, they said.
We got on a plane and flew south;
I huddled next to you,
wrapped up in my corduroy blazer,
cursing the AC in the airport and on the plane.
The moment we landed, we dashed out to the Texan sun
letting the hot air welcome us with its warm embrace.
And while those around us cursed the weather,
We relished our homecoming to warmer climes.



I am wondering whether this is a fair exchange
This globetrotting lifestyle:
eyes filled with images of far-flung places
feet dusty and worn from many miles.
I am wondering if all this beauty
was really worth all this wandering,
if being there is worth not being here.
The problem, I think, is that with each new locale
there's also new people,
people with eyes full of images of places I have yet to go
and with feet dusty and worn from the miles their lives have traveled along.
The problem is that everywhere I am,
there is a multitude of these people somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment