Thursday, November 18, 2010

More Thoughts on Family

Today I got an email from my good friend, Robbie about the haps in his life over the last few months. This email was in response to a series of emails written by people I lived and worked with while I was in still overseas.

I smiled as I read the email, excited for him and his new wife, about God's leading in their life, about his new job and the cool new opportunities it brings...Just like I was excited to hear about Melissa, and Ross, and SamandJoan (in my mind SamandJoan are actually only one person) and all the haps in their lives. And when I got to the end of Robbie's email, I sighed the way content people do and I thought to myself, "It's good to catch up with family."

And then I had the sudden realization that Robbie, Melissa, Ross, and SamandJoan are not actually related to me. That we share no bloodline and except through an arranged marriage of our children/grandchildren, we probably will never be "related" to each other.

But we are family in the way that the intensity of our shared experience, coupled with the Faith and Spirit that binds us, AND the similarity of our hopes and ambitions for the present life make us Family. And I thought about other people in our lives who are significant in this way, and I missed them greatly and ached for eternity.

It is indeed good to keep up with Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment